Ever touched the metal sink or door handles in your home and experienced a surprising shock? Sometimes, you may also have shocking feelings when shaking or touching someone.
Do not be afraid, youre not alone. Such sudden shocks are caused by static electricity. It builds up in our homes during cold or dry winter months.
If this is your current situation, then read on to find out more. This guide was developed by experts at Quality Electricians to teach you how to get rid of or reduce the static electricity at home or office.
Buy and Install a Humidifier at Home
Theres always a charge imbalance in the air and around our homes during dry winters because it comes with less humidity. This period aids our bodies to build up larger negative or positive charges.
The charge transfer or flow of electrons from your body to the objects you touch causes the flash shocks. Your skin is electrically charged at that moment and the electrons itches for freedom they flow from you into the object you touch.
The major cause of static electricity at home is dry air. That is why the installation of a humidifier is very critical since it restores and maintains a proper level of moisture in the air.
Therefore, buying and installing a whole-house humidifier will help to reduce static electricity in the air. The humidifier will be installed by the experts at Quality Electricians to work with your HVAC system.
Increase the Moisture on Your Carpets
There are times when static charges may build up in your rugs and carpeting. It becomes a challenge for everyone in the house to work across the carpets. If this is the case, you need to apply an anti-static treatment on your carpets and rugs. The treatment is done by spraying an anti-static chemical on both rugs and carpets. It will help prevent the charges from building up between your feet and the carpet as well as reduce frequent shocks.
If you also notice shocks while sitting on your upholstery, then rub dryer sheets on the entire furniture. Shocks while sitting can have more negative impact on you. So its worth using dryer sheets for prevention because it acts as neutralizers for electrical charges.
Following the tips above will help reduce static electricity in your home. But you may take it a step further by personally preventing shocks from your body.
Stay Moisturized and Use a Rich Conditioner on your Hair
Electrons are known to accumulate on dry surfaces. Try as much as possible to keep your skin hydrated at all times. Rub quality lotion and moisturizers all over your body and use a good hair conditioner to reduce the build-up of static electricity on the strands of your hair.
As the winter months continue, it will make more sense to combine both home and personal strategies shared in this article to avoid being zapped.
If you have other home electrical concerns, be assured that the experts at Quality Electricians are always at your beck and call.